Benjamin Franklin is attributed with saying, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” He originally was addressing fire safety, but today his axiom generally refers to health. In other words, it’s easier to prevent a health hazard than to repair damage that is already done.
October 10, 2018 is World Mental Health Day, and Ben Franklin’s words of wisdom come to mind. In order to prevent mental illness, it is important to recognize the signs and symptoms, then take immediate action to alleviate or prevent further distress.
Mental illness often begins in childhood or adolescence and goes unrecognized. The earlier treatment is begun, the more effective it can be to prevent the mental disorder from progressing into adulthood. Here are some warning signs that a child or teen might need help, as delineated by the National Institute of Mental Health1:
- Often feels anxious or worried
- Has very frequent tantrums or is intensely irritable much of the time
- Has frequent stomachaches or headaches with no physical explanation
- Is in constant motion, can’t sit quietly for any length of time
- Has trouble sleeping, including frequent nightmares
- Loses interest in things he or she used to enjoy
- Avoids spending time with friends
- Has trouble doing well in school, or grades decline
- Fears gaining weight; exercises, diets obsessively
- Has low or no energy
- Has spells of intense, inexhaustible activity
- Harms herself/himself, such as cutting or burning her/his skin
- Engages in risky, destructive behavior
- Harms self or others
- Smokes, drinks, or uses drugs
- Has thoughts of suicide
- Thinks his or her mind is controlled or out of control, hears voices
Although the list of symptoms is similar for adults, here are some other signs to watch out for in particular, as noted by the Mayo Clinic2:
- Feeling sad or down
- Confused thinking or reduced ability to concentrate
- Excessive fears or worries, or extreme feelings of guilt
- Extreme mood changes of highs and lows
- Withdrawal from friends and activities
- Significant tiredness, low energy or problems sleeping
- Detachment from reality (delusions), paranoia or hallucinations
- Inability to cope with daily problems or stress
- Trouble understanding and relating to situations and to people
- Major changes in eating habits
- Sex drive changes
- Excessive anger, hostility or violence
Nikken nutritional supplements are of particular importance in supporting Active Wellness. There are two that specifically address the Healthy Mind Pillar.
- Kenzen® Clarity is formulated with a fermented blend of 100% organic ingredients to help us stay focused and mentally sharp. Fermentation increases the levels of macro- and micro-nutrients while breaking down food that is difficult for the body to process.
- Since the connection between brain function and gut health is critical for optimum results, Kenzen Lactoferrin™ 2.0 contains four organic ingredients that specifically support the G.I. tract as well as promoting brain health.