However we celebrate Thanksgiving, there’s generally an overflow of great home-made food, some of which is served specifically at this time of year. So it’s special and we want to eat as much of it… More
The brain-gut connection is a big deal. It is revolutionizing the way doctors and scientists approach digestion, mood, health and the way we think. One way to understand it is to picture a “brain in the gut,” which is actually known as the enteric nervous system (ENS). It’s composed of more than 100 million nerve cells that line the G.I. tract running from the esophagus to the rectum.
Internationally renowned ENS specialist Dr. Jay Pasricha says, “The enteric nervous system doesn’t seem capable of thought as we know it, but it communicates back and forth with our big brain with profound results. Its main role is controlling digestion, from swallowing to the release of enzymes that break down food to the control of blood flow that helps with nutrient absorption to elimination. For decades, researchers and doctors thought that anxiety and depression contributed to gut problems, but our studies and others show that it may also be the other way around.”1
In keeping up with the latest scientific developments, Nikken has launched Kenzen® Lactoferrin 2.0™ as an integral component of Active Wellness. The lactoferrin in the formulation addresses the body’s need for iron to help hemoglobin carry oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body. But Lactoferrin 2.0 takes the formulation up to a superior level with four organic ingredients that work to support the G.I. tract and mental health, which addresses the important brain-gut connection. Here’s how:
- Our Organic Inulin is sourced from Jerusalem Artichoke, known to be high in potassium, iron, essential amino acids and protein.2 Organic Inulin is soluble so it dissolves in the stomach and forms a gelatinous substance that helps slow digestion to allow better nutrient absorption and a slow release of sugar. This slower digestion promotes healthy blood sugar levels. Organic Inulin aids digestion by helping to increase good bacteria in the gut and stimulating the immune system.3
- Organic Rhodiola rosea has been used in China and Siberia for thousands of years to help soothe, calm and relax people who are stressed, depressed or fatigued. Research shows it to have a positive effect on cognitive health, including boosting memory and concentration.4 Research also shows this adaptogen helps speed up fat-burning cells when combined with exercise. 5
- Organic Ginger has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects, and is effective against nausea and exercise-induced muscle discomforts. It helps empty the stomach more quickly, which benefits people with indigestion and related issues. There is some evidence that organic Ginger enhances working memory and reaction time, helps inhibit the growth of bad oral bacteria and helps reduce LDL cholesterol and blood triglyceride levels.6
- More than 600 health benefits are attributed to Organic Turmeric, but in Lactoferrin 2.0, it works synergistically as a potent antioxidant with anti-inflammatory properties. It helps promote brain health as well as supporting the G.I. system. See “Turmeric: Hot Topic of the Year.”
We’re offering a free PowerBand necklace (item #19085/ US $28.75 / CN $36 retail) for every order that contains Kenzen® Lactoferrin 2.0™ from 8:00 AM PST, November 3, 2017 until 5:00 PM PST, November 9, 2017. This order excludes Autoship.
Did your mama tell you to “eat your veggies”? She knew what she was talking about. Studies have shown that there are possible connections between a plant-based diet and maintaining good health.
Vegetarians typically consume more vitamin E, C, folic acid, potassium, calcium, fiber and phytochemicals, resulting in lower cholesterol levels, BMI and blood pressure. 1 Vegetarians also obtain more antioxidant levels of A, B2, beta-carotene and folate as well as fiber through their higher consumption of fruits, vegetables and multi-grains. Though 25-38 grams of fiber per day is recommended, the typical American consumes only 12-15 grams. For example, a pound of beef contains zero grams of fiber, but just one cup of lentils has 16 grams. 2
Even if you choose not to be a complete vegetarian, there are several diets that are plant-based. In descending order of number of food types allowed:
- Semi-Vegetarian or Flexitarian diets include dairy foods, eggs and small amounts of meat, poultry, fish or other seafood.
- Pescatarian diets include dairy foods, eggs, fish and seafood, but no meat or poultry.
- Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian diets include dairy foods and eggs.
- Vegan diets are the most limiting, as no animal products of any kind are allowed, and you obtain protein only from grains, beans, nuts, seeds and certain plants—just like vegetarian animals.
Improving health is only one facet of eating more vegetarian meals. You can save money, too. Eating vegetables, grains and fruit in place of the roughly 250 pounds of beef, chicken and fish each non-vegetarian in the U.S. eats annually could cut individual food bills by an average $4,000 per year. 3
In the U.S., 10 billion animals are slaughtered for human consumption each year. Most are factory-farmed and fed a diet tainted with pesticides, hormones and antibiotics.4 Cattle are corn-fed (instead of grass fed) to fatten them up. Raising these animals strains environmental resources and may be unsustainable over the long term. Beef in particular is known for being challenging to the environment, because of the large amount of feed required and the methane produced.
Whether you cut out meat once a week (as in Meatless Monday) or take on an Active Wellness challenge and go vegetarian for a week or month at a time, you’ll not only be helping the world go green, you’ll be helping yourself and your pocketbook! And with Kenzen® Vital Balance, you never need to worry about getting enough plant-based protein! Kenzen Vital Balance is the core component of the Everyday Weight Management Packs, which come with free shipping!
Is your holiday season full of traps that derail you from healthy eating? Are your days filled with extra calories that seem too tempting to pass up? What’s a body with the best of intentions to do? Here are five simple behaviors that may help keep your weight steady throughout the holiday season with living proof from some of the Nikken Everyday Wellness Challenge winners.
- Be part of a fitness community. This doesn’t require joining expensive gyms or clubs. Simply find some friends or relatives who are committed to Active Wellness or find online buddies, such as those on the Everyday Wellness Challenge Facebook page. Post your intentions and goals and ask for support.
Bill Cottle says, “I love being healthy by choice and not by chance. I want to thank everyone posting comments and words of encouragement on the Everyday Wellness Challenge Facebook page. It is great to belong to such a supportive community.”
Victoria Jaso Waters adds, “Even when times are tough, I am able to keep positive by reading about everyone’s accomplishments.”
- Carry the PiMag® Sport Bottle with you everywhere and drink water, drink water, drink water. It helps you feel full and it’s great for all the body’s systems.
John Berkheim says, “I have reduced the amount of food I eat at each meal and am drinking more PiMag water and less coffee, no pop or drinks with added sugar.”
- Be sure to focus on the protein and the vegetables of any feast, not the dessert. Think of it this way: lean meats or vegetarian proteins and vegetables are real food. Best of all, protein actually helps increase your metabolism and gives you a feeling of fullness. Vegetables are full of healthy fiber and low in calories.
Nancy Clyde says, “I have always loved veggies and made wise choices by avoiding sugars and limiting breads, potatoes and rice. My meals and snacks consist of veggies, protein, nuts and a small portion of a Kenzen Paleo Bar®.”
- Get enough sleep. Undersleeping may be as tempting as overeating during the holiday season, but sleep deprivation can cause weight gain! The less you sleep, the hungrier you’ll feel, and the higher the risk of eating more calories than your level of activity requires. Too little sleep also slows down the metabolism. So, even when you stay out to party hearty, set aside enough time to catch enough Zs!
Ann Price says, “Over the past three months, my average nightly sleep has increased from about four to five hours to about seven hours nightly! That sure makes a difference in the way I feel when I wake up in the morning.”
- Choose a form of exercise and participate every day or at least four times a week. Whether you swim laps, take Zumba classes or walk the dog, consistency pays off and you’ll feel more energetic once you get in the habit.
Susan Goodwin says, “The part I like most about Active Wellness is the hour of exercise I do every day. I either walk or bicycle, and the exercise helps me release my stress and sleep better.”
Plan ahead this holiday season and reward yourself (not with an edible) for your positive results! From now through Halloween night (October 31) at 5 PM PST, Nikken Consultants have the upper hand with the Kenzen Paleo Bar® in three delicious flavors. They make the ideal treat for Halloween, not only to give out but also to have around the workplace and at home. And, you can make double QPPV while you’re being a responsible “treater”—a complete win-win for Active Wellness! Click here for promotion details.
One of the favorite nights of the year for many North Americans is Halloween. It’s also one of the scariest, not because of the witches and goblins or walking skeletons, but due to the abundance of the evil one, sugar. According to Lona Sandon, Med, RD, a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, “All it takes is an additional 100 calories a day or the equivalent of one snack-sized chocolate bar and most adults will experience weight creep before they even know it.”1
What about the effect sugar has on children? Dr. B.J. Hardick, author of Maximized Living Nutrition Plans, which is used in more than 500 health clinics, states, “A study found that preschoolers who consumed ultra-processed foods had higher blood lipid levels, a marker for many health concerns including cardiovascular issues later on. Amassing candy, and keeping it around, isn’t exactly the foundational habit that the health conscious parent wants their kid to develop, knowing that each bite plays a part in their future health.”2
Common sense dictates that any health conscious adult who revels in Halloween would stick to creative costumes and fun activities but cut out the candy. As for the traditional trick-or-treaters that come to your door, they may not care about their health, but do you want it on your conscience that you’re helping children to increase their risk of tooth decay and to develop poor eating habits? Instead of candy loaded with sugar, give a healthy snack instead!
The original trick-or-treaters in the Middle Ages went door to door begging for food or money, not candy, in exchange for songs and prayers. In more recent years, health conscious people are known to give trinkets, coins and sugar-free snacks in lieu of candy.
“Research shows just looking at food triggers the circuitry in our brains that makes us imagine eating it,” says Susan Albers, PsyD, author of Eating Mindfully.3 So the trick to eating the right treat is two-fold.
- Don’t buy candy. If it’s out of sight, it’s out of mind.
- Grab a Kenzen Paleo Bar®. Give one to a trick-or-treater and eat one yourself instead of a candy bar!
From now through Halloween night (October 31) at 5 PM PST, Nikken Consultants have the upper hand with the Kenzen Paleo Bar® in three delicious flavors. They make the ideal treat for Halloween, not only to give out but also to have around the workplace and at home. And, you can make double QPPV while you’re being a responsible “treater”—a complete win-win for Active Wellness! Click here for promotion details.
Health risks associated with water contaminants are real. Some of the signs of water quality issues are perceptible—and some are not. Since 1972 when the Natural Resources Defense Council advocated for the Clean Water Act, public awareness has grown regarding the fact that even in first world nations, the tap water we use in our homes for drinking, cooking and bathing may well be contaminated with bacteria and viruses, chlorine and chloramine, nitrates and nitrites, heavy metals, pharmaceuticals and chemicals from personal care products as well as endocrine disrupting chemicals.1
A common fallacy is that bottled water eliminates contaminants. Numerous reputable studies have revealed that up to 40 percent of all bottled water is re-processed tap water. Another good portion of bottled waters are purified by reverse osmosis or distillation, resulting in demineralized water, which is considered unhealthy for long-term use.2 No matter what the bottled water label says, you never really know what you’re getting.
The more reliable and ultimately, more economical solution, is to invest in some type of water filtration system. Not only does filtered water help with digestion and detoxification of the body, but it also keeps the nervous system up and running.3 Filtered water is also quite important for young children, especially babies that don’t have the mature immune system that most adults do.
The PiMag® Water Set composed of one PiMag® Waterfall and one PiMag® Sport Bottle is an ideal way to get started with Nikken Active Wellness. You get a multiple filtration system that does not require electricity or plumbing for any room of your home, plus a portable filtered bottle that can be taken to the gym, on hikes, by poolside and to keep in the car. With the PiMag® Water Set, you have both a stationary and a portable solution for clean drinking water. In addition, neither filter leaches out beneficial minerals and the Waterfall actually adds minerals within a beneficial alkaline pH range.
Priced specifically to help Nikken business builders generate income within their first 30, 60 and 90 days the PiMag® Water Set provides Consultants with a US$100/ CN$123.48 profit when sold at retail. For new Consultants, to facilitate a “Power Start” and to help focus attention on Quality Enrollment behavior, the PiMag® Water Set carries 500 PV. In addition, assigning 500PV to the PiMag® Water Set enables a Consultant to rank advance quickly to Executive and Silver. For example, any Nikken Consultant who sells one PiMag® Water Set per week for three months would reach the rank of Silver and earn US $1,200/CN$1,481.76 retail profit plus Qualifying Group Override once the Executive pin level is reached.
As daunting as the onset of colder weather may be, autumn is an ideal time to correct any summer skin damage that has occurred and to prepare for winter. So here are some tips on how to maintain a hydrated healthy complexion during autumn and the coming winter months when skin tends to lose moisture.
- To start the process of rebuilding dry, flakey skin resulting from sun, chlorine and saltwater, incorporate exfoliation into your skin regimen. Choose a scrub/exfoliant that sloughs off dead skin but is gentle and helps stimulate natural oil production. Use True Elements® Radiance Scrub once or twice a week to buff the skin. This gentle facial scrub helps remove dead skin cells and allow the seaweed extracts to help boost hydration and energize the skin.
- Do not use artificially fragrant soap on your face because they contain sulfates and other chemicals and dyes. Instead, use True Elements® Velvet Cleansing Milk. It doesn’t contain any synthetic fragrances, parabens, mineral oils, phthalates, artificial coloring or preservatives. You get a gentle cleanser that works with your natural pH balance and natural enriching oils that nourish the skin while removing impurities.
- Use a soothing mask that deeply nourishes the skin. True Elements® Nutritional Mask helps stimulate the synthesis of collagen that might have broken down with overexposure to the sun. Hyaluronic acid helps plump up the skin while seaweed extracts help re-energize to restore brightness.
- As the air becomes drier, be sure to use a cream-based moisturizer to help reduce water loss from the skin. True Elements® Nourishing Face Cream is specifically formulated to moisturize the upper epidermis and to help soften and smooth the skin.
- What goes in your body affects the appearance of the skin as well what goes on it. Make sure to drink lots of water. Always bring your PiMag® Sport Bottle with you. Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, lean proteins and healthy oils. Stay on the Active Wellness eating regimen. Remember, Everyday Weight Management is a lifestyle for a lifetime. Stay away from sugar as it’s known to be inflammatory and may adversely affect your skin as well.
We’re offering our Consultants a special True Elements® Hair & Skin Care Pack for a limited time. When you purchase one True Elements® Shampoo and Conditioner, you get one True Elements® Youth Activ Serum and one True Elements® Nutritional Mask at 50% off. Autoship orders are excluded.
The United States and many other countries are dealing with an increase, or even a prevalence of, obesity. Exercise and diet are the two basic ways to prevent or overcome this epidemic. In the United States, physicians refer to “Physical Activity” (PA) goals as the easy and affordable prescription for maintaining a healthy weight and more often than not, recommend outdoor exercise, which combines fresh air with mobility.
Weather conditions have an effect on whether an individual stays motivated to exercise outdoors. For example, not everyone will want to exercise outdoors during rain, snow or extremely hot or cold conditions. Working out under hot weather conditions can lead to a number of illnesses, including heat cramps, exhaustion and heatstroke. These occur when the body’s cooling system fails to function due to extreme heat and humidity, sweating profusely or not drinking enough fluids. The rule of thumb for outdoor activities during extremely hot weather is to avoid the hours immediately before and after the noon hour, and to stay hydrated throughout your exercise routine.
Exercising in cold weather not only helps keep extra pounds at bay but also can help combat the winter blues. As explained by Dr. Keven Plancher, head of Plancher Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine in New York City to Women’s Health magazine, “All exercise can increase your levels of those feel-good hormones, endorphins. But because your body has to work harder in the cold, your endorphin production is boosted even more, leading to a happier state of mind.”1 Women’s Health also points out that a workout outside—even when the air is cold—can give you some much-needed sun exposure in the dark winter months, which will boost your mood as well.2
Cooler weather actually helps motivate people to do cardio workouts, because running, biking, hiking and so forth are all activities that produce heat. Even walking is suited for cooler temperatures. Low temperatures tend to make the heart work harder to keep the body at a stable temperature, so people with heart disease are advised to take caution when participating in strenuous activities during extremely cold conditions.3 Again, always stay hydrated.
To help stay motivated and consistent on an Active Wellness lifestyle, here are some tips:
- Eat healthy carbs a couple of hours before strenuous activities to keep your body warm and energetic. This also helps prevent fatigue.
- Do not drink caffeinated beverages before working out, because they can cause dehydration.
- Keep an energy bar on hand, especially when you know you will be exercising intensely or for a long period of time.
- Drink water or beverages with electrolytes before, during and after your workout to avoid cramping and dizziness. The PiMag® Sport Bottle is ideal with its built-in water filter.
- Set exercise/weight goals and write them down.
- Reward yourself periodically as you achieve your goals, but not with food, so you don’t associate pleasure only with edible treats.
- Wear KenkoTherm® Support Wraps and KenkoTherm DUK® Tape to help your muscles and joints stay warm and stable.