Is your holiday season full of traps that derail you from healthy eating? Are your days filled with extra calories that seem too tempting to pass up? What’s a body with the best of intentions to do? Here are five simple behaviors that may help keep your weight steady throughout the holiday season with living proof from some of the Nikken Everyday Wellness Challenge winners.
- Be part of a fitness community. This doesn’t require joining expensive gyms or clubs. Simply find some friends or relatives who are committed to Active Wellness or find online buddies, such as those on the Everyday Wellness Challenge Facebook page. Post your intentions and goals and ask for support.
Bill Cottle says, “I love being healthy by choice and not by chance. I want to thank everyone posting comments and words of encouragement on the Everyday Wellness Challenge Facebook page. It is great to belong to such a supportive community.”
Victoria Jaso Waters adds, “Even when times are tough, I am able to keep positive by reading about everyone’s accomplishments.”
- Carry the PiMag® Sport Bottle with you everywhere and drink water, drink water, drink water. It helps you feel full and it’s great for all the body’s systems.
John Berkheim says, “I have reduced the amount of food I eat at each meal and am drinking more PiMag water and less coffee, no pop or drinks with added sugar.”
- Be sure to focus on the protein and the vegetables of any feast, not the dessert. Think of it this way: lean meats or vegetarian proteins and vegetables are real food. Best of all, protein actually helps increase your metabolism and gives you a feeling of fullness. Vegetables are full of healthy fiber and low in calories.
Nancy Clyde says, “I have always loved veggies and made wise choices by avoiding sugars and limiting breads, potatoes and rice. My meals and snacks consist of veggies, protein, nuts and a small portion of a Kenzen Paleo Bar®.”
- Get enough sleep. Undersleeping may be as tempting as overeating during the holiday season, but sleep deprivation can cause weight gain! The less you sleep, the hungrier you’ll feel, and the higher the risk of eating more calories than your level of activity requires. Too little sleep also slows down the metabolism. So, even when you stay out to party hearty, set aside enough time to catch enough Zs!
Ann Price says, “Over the past three months, my average nightly sleep has increased from about four to five hours to about seven hours nightly! That sure makes a difference in the way I feel when I wake up in the morning.”
- Choose a form of exercise and participate every day or at least four times a week. Whether you swim laps, take Zumba classes or walk the dog, consistency pays off and you’ll feel more energetic once you get in the habit.
Susan Goodwin says, “The part I like most about Active Wellness is the hour of exercise I do every day. I either walk or bicycle, and the exercise helps me release my stress and sleep better.”
Plan ahead this holiday season and reward yourself (not with an edible) for your positive results! From now through Halloween night (October 31) at 5 PM PST, Nikken Consultants have the upper hand with the Kenzen Paleo Bar® in three delicious flavors. They make the ideal treat for Halloween, not only to give out but also to have around the workplace and at home. And, you can make double QPPV while you’re being a responsible “treater”—a complete win-win for Active Wellness! Click here for promotion details.