Wipe the slate clean each day! In life, we begin every day anew, but somehow the start of each year is when many of us decide to make resolutions or set goals. The reality is that without good health, we cannot do anything else, so total body wellness has to be an annual goal in one way or another.
We all know the ABCs for good health: restful sleep, clean air, fresh water, nourishing nutrition, adequate exercise and refraining from smoking, excessive drinking of alcoholic beverages and overusing medications and other addictive substances. All of this can be achieved, but consistency is the key. If we “fall off the wagon” in any area, wipe the slate clean, don’t beat yourself up and start fresh the next day.
Here are half a dozen things that may help make 2023 our healthiest ever:
1. Pay attention to how your body feels. Are you constantly tired? Do you wake up in the morning feeling as if you never even slept? Commit to making changes, so that you have energy. It’s simple to say, “get enough sleep,” but so many of us don’t. It may require going to bed earlier or later than what you are currently doing. Striving for eight hours is fine, but be content to start with six or seven restful hours. Quality sleep not only makes us feel energized, but it also helps manage weight and cardiovascular health. Adequate sleep even helps us to think more clearly and accomplish daily tasks.
2. Reach out to someone you care about but haven’t been in touch with regularly. Even if you don’t continue to reconnect consistently, you may be surprised what happens as a result of a simple phone call or “miss you” card in the mail. Remember that mental health is as important as physical health, and staying in touch with those we care about gives us a boost in multiple ways.
3. We often forget to check important areas of our bodies, as many of us avoid going to the health practitioner unless we actually feel ill. This year, vow to get eyes, ears and teeth checked. Letting these three areas go untended can lead to problems down the road.
4. Set aside time to read. Reading has different effects on our brains. Although studies largely focus on children, it is reasonable to believe reading vs. screen time has similar effects on adults. A 2020 study of 47 healthy children, aged three to five, found those who spent more than an hour daily on screens performed worse on cognitive tests than those who frequently read books with their parents or caregivers.1 Whereas screen time may produce a hypnotic effect, reading triggers thought. Regardless of age, retention of information and cognitive reasoning are precious.
5. Make a conscious effort to be kinder to yourself. Sometimes we are kind to everyone else but we tend to be our own worst critics. The effect of being kind to ourselves has big health ramifications, all good ones! We really can help ourselves be happier!
6. Weight loss is one of the most popular new year’s resolutions. It is also one that quickly fails and can even lead to depression. One alternative healthy habit to pursue is to simply ditch the sodas. Diet sodas with artificial sweeteners are even worse than the high-calorie sugary ones, because the chemicals added for flavoring may actually be health hazards.2 It’s not as big of a change as going on a special diet; it’s eliminating one item, but the positive results can be inspiring.
Nikken is committed to helping our Global Wellness Community live a healthy lifestyle, and our products reflect that. We are proud of our PiMag® water filters, Kenko Sleep System, KenkoAir Purifier®, Kenzen® nutritionals and True Elements® Marine Organic Skin Care as well as our vast array of magnetic support products. These products give you the power to take your health into your own hands, to sleep well, eat and drink well, breathe easily and obtain optimal hydration. They enable you to maintain the healthy lifestyle that gives you energy and ultimately, more joy.