Every year, we look forward to warm weather so we can bask in the sunshine and spend more time outdoors. We thaw out, revel in picnics and embrace the bounty Nature has to offer!
Here are a few tips for summertime Active Wellness that will keep you healthy while you enjoy fun and games, vacations and get-togethers.
• When hiking or in woodsy areas, use insect repellent and wear long-sleeved shirts and full-length trousers to prevent mosquito bites and ticks.
• Use sunscreen with at least SPF 15 for UV protection and don’t forget to reapply eery two hours, especially after swimming or sweating. Apply sunscreen first and then insect repellent.1
• Wear wide-brimmed hats.
• Whatever activity you pursue, both indoors or outdoors, stay hydrated by drinking water frequently.
• The more active you are, the more important it is to get restful sleep. Aim for at least seven hours each night.2
• As you attend celebrations throughout the summer, remember that alcohol is dehydrating, especially under the sun. So, monitor your intake and always drink plenty of plain water.
• Go barefoot when you can! Whether it’s at the beach or on grass, take advantage of the warm weather and get grounded naturally.
• Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing that is loose-fitting. This helps sweat evaporate more quickly to keep you cooler.
• Do strenuous exercises in the morning or evening to avoid the hottest times of the day. When outdoors, try to find shady areas.
• If you’re going on vacation, plan an active one. Include family members in camping, hiking, swimming, etc. Include bike rides or walking tours when visiting cities.
• Try to get at least 150 minutes of physical activity in weekly.3 If you can’t make it outdoors, do it at home or at a gym. Yoga, Pilates, dancing, Zumba—it all counts.
• Summer fruit and vegetables are delicious and beneficial, especially if you’ve had a hard winter. Check out what your local farmers’ markets are offering and enjoy seasonal produce at its freshest!
• When enjoying outdoor meals, remember to wash hands, utensils, containers and work surfaces before handling food to prevent bacteria from spreading.
• Wash fruit and vegetables before cutting or peeling to help remove bacteria that may be on the rind or skin.
• Throw out leftover food if it’s been sitting out for more than two hours. If it’s hotter than 90°F or 32°C, throw it out after one hour.5
Have a wonderful summer and remember, Nikken is celebrating fathers the entire month of June. You still can purchase the Father’s Day Pack through June 30. It targets the immune system and gut health with one bottle of Kenzen® Immunity and one bottle of Kenzen Lactoferrin® 2.0. You also receive a bonus bottle of Kenzen® Mega Daily 4 for men at no cost, an added retail value of $53 US / $65 CA.
You also have through June 30 to take advantage of the huge 30% off sale on all sizes of the Kenko Naturest® Fit mattress topper! Don’t miss this chance to upgrade your sleep in every room! Since the Fit is portable, you can even take it with you on your vacations or other travels!