No one would ingest pesticides given a choice for cleaner food, right? So why doesn’t everyone choose organic food? The main concern with purchasing organic food is cost, because organic farming practices are more expensive than conventional approaches.
“Organic” refers to the way farmers grow and process fruit, vegetables, grains, dairy products and meat. Organic farming meets environmental and sustainability goals to:
- Enhance soil and water quality.
- Reduce pollution.
- Provide safe, healthy livestock habitats.
- Enable natural livestock behavior.
- Promote a self-sustaining cycle of resources on a farm.
Organic farming adheres to a disciplined commitment to growing food and livestock that is not only safe to ingest but is kind to planet Earth. Take a look at what is not permitted in organic farming:
- Synthetic fertilizers to add nutrients to the soil
- Sewage sludge as fertilizer
- Most synthetic pesticides for pest control
- Irradiation to preserve food or to eliminate disease or pests
- Genetic engineering, used to improve disease or pest resistance to improve crop yields
- Antibiotics or growth hormones for livestock
Instead, organic farming practices may include:
- Plant waste left on fields (known as green manure) livestock manure or compost to improve soil quality.
- Crop rotation to preserve soil quality and to interrupt cycles of pests or disease.
- Mulch to control weeds.
- Predatory insects or insect traps to control pests.
- Certain natural pesticides and a few synthetic pesticides, used only as a last resort in coordination with a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) organic certifying agent.
- Healthy living conditions and access to the outdoors for livestock.
- Pasture feeding for at least 30 percent of livestock’s nutritional needs during grazing season.
- Organic foods for animals.
Whether you decide to go organic or not with your fresh foods, you can rest assured that with the NikkenWellness™ nutritional supplements designed to promote Active Wellness, you’re getting only organic ingredients. We’re committed to helping you live with optimal health while being kind to planet Earth.